Back To Article...
When an electron and positron (antielectron) collide at high energy they can annihilate to produce D+ and D- mesons (charm particles).
- Frame 1: The electron and positron zoom towards their certain doom.
- Frame 2: They collide and annihilate, releasing tremendous amounts of energy.
- Frame 3: The electron and positron have annihilated into a virtual photon, or a virtual
Z particle, both of which are virtual forces carrier particles.
- Frame 4: A charm quark and a charm antiquark emerge from the virtual force carrier particle.
- Frame 5: They begin moving apart, stretching the color force field (gluon field) between them.
- Frame 6: The quarks move apart, further spreading their force field.
- Frame 7: The energy in the force field increase with the separation between the quarks. When there is sufficient energy in the force field, the energy is converted into a quark and an anti-quark (remember E=mc2).
- Frames 8-10: The quarks separate into distinct, colour-neutral particles: the D+ (a charm and anti-down quark) and D- (an anti-charm and down quark) mesons.
The intermediate stages of this process occur in less than almost a billionth of a billionth of a billionth of a second, and are not observable.
ELECTRON/POSITRON ANNIHILATION - http://pdg.web.cern.ch/pdg/cpep/eedd.html
Paying For Mars
Who Has The Plan
Chances of Life Beyond The Solar System
Book Review: The Ethics of Star Trek
The Multiverse Reality
Movie Review: The One
Wormholes: Fact or Fiction?
Is The Matrix Possible?